There are many medical terms that we may not be aware of but when a closed one falls sick we are introduced to it. One such medical term is IV therapy: While most people may be unaware of what it means if your loved one has ever been subjected to it or will be then its better for you to know what it actually is. The full form of IV is intravenous or inside the vein which means that the patient’s body is introduced to substances with the help of a tube called “cannula” The substances could either be some form of medication or nutrition. One of the many benefits of IV is that it introduces nutrients directly into your bloodstream.
There are a number of different types of IV. They are:
- IV therapy used for fluids
- IV therapy used for blood transfusions
- IV therapy used for medications
- Iv therapy used for nutrition
Iv Therapy is mainly used for patients requiring blood transfusion, chemotherapy treatments, medication and treatment of dehydrated patients.
The Process of IV therapy:
- Introducing a needle to puncture the skin either in the arm for most cases or otherwise
- Having to check the medical record of the patient to whom IV is given
- The rate and quantity of the IV fluid to be given is decided according to the medical record and need of the patient
- The skin on which IV is to be introduced is cleaned and disinfected
- Then the vein is located and a catheter is placed
- Once that is done the time may vary for the procedure depending upon the medical condition and requirement.
IV therapy however comes with its own complications. Some of which are:
- The patient may develop phlebitis which is a condition of inflammation of the vein and the symptoms include swelling, pain, warmth and redness around the area.
- When the liquid of the IV leaks to tissues around the vein it leads to extravasation which may cause burning and swelling around the IV site.
- Air Embolism maybe the case when air enters into the veins and this could be very dangerous as that air could travel to lungs or brain and prove to be fatalThe symptoms include breathing difficulties and low blood pressure.
- If the IV line or part of the skin is not disinfected properly then that could lead to an infection as well.
- An abnormal increase in blood volume could also be the case for pregnant woman or children and it is called hypervolaemia
Depending on the condition of the patient IV has become very popular as a treatment across the world hence it is important to be aware of it. Sometimes we may get a very bad hangover that we cannot seem to come out of that’s when we could use the help of IVs in the Keys to help you with hangover relief instantly within 45 minutes. The specialists in medical care can help you just in time to get over you hangover and not compromise on the fun or vacation you might be having.